Derek Mahar wrote:

Your solution is equivalent to Case 2 that I listed in my original
message.  The Microsoft SQL Server JDBC driver complains with a
JspException:

javax.servlet.ServletException: javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: INSERT INTO tblTest(a) VALUES (?)
: [Microsoft][SQLServer 2000 Driver for JDBC][SQLServer]Syntax error converting the nvarchar value 'null' to a column of data type int.

However, the JDBC driver accepts and correctly processes the following
query:

<sql:update>
  INSERT INTO tblTestDerek VALUES (null)
</sql:update>

In light of this, I suspect that there may be an error in the
implementation of <sql:param> where it treats "null" as a string
argument rather than as an SQL null argument.

Please search the (user & devel) list. We discussed this problem a while ago and came to the conclusing that this is a problem caused by the JDBC driver used. The subject might have been "SQL Update problem with Dates"

Regards,
  Wolfgang