Actually, I have the table like that currently, which has a common attribute:

To use our running example it looks like:

MALE | JOHN | RED
MALE | MARK | BLUE
MALE | NIC | GREEN
MALE | DAVID | BLUE
FEMALE | SARA | ORANGE

I want to display like:MALE: John (red) | Mark (blue) | Nic (Green) | David (Blue)
FEMALE: Sara (orange)

The color isn't an issue, its basically just grouping by a common attribute and displaying it horizontally instead of vertically.

- Nic

Helios Alonso wrote:

I think he wants a table like this:

+ John (in red)
+ Mark (in blue)
+ Nic (in green)
+ Helios (in red)
+ David (in blue)

If you have an array of 3 colors named colors (I dont know but, maybe the set tag can build a mapping that works like an array...)

Try this:
<!-- initialization -->
<c:set var="colorIndex" value="0"/>
<!-- loop -->

In the expression you're coding the round robin (increment and modulus 3) and the selection of the color based on the index.

But, I didn't try it.  I hope the modulus is a valid construction in EL.