On 13/11/11 17:01, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood
> <david-sa...@jacaranda.org> wrote:
>>> No, if it is a bug, it is a bug in distutils.
>>
>> I don't make a strong distinction between setuptools and distutils, because
>> setuptools heavily patches distutils without attempting to maintain any
>> modular separation between them. It's just easier to say "setuptools" than
>> "setuptools plus distutils as patched by setuptools".
>
> Well, the reason to make the distinction is that if we stopped using
> setuptools, as per Brian's "unsuck" branch, or if we switched to a
> different tool, such as distribute, pip, distutils2, paver, or
> whatever (note: some of those tools may be different types of thing),
> then that'd probably not change this particular behavior.

It probably would if the replacement did not use the implementation of
'setup.py sdist' that is in distutils. I would be in favour of using a
replacement that is not based on distutils at all. (Note that this
doesn't preclude providing reasonably close compatibility with the
'setup.py' command interface.)

--
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥ http://davidsarah.livejournal.com