On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Greg Troxel <g...@ir.bbn.com> wrote:
> I think removing autodetection of IP address would be a significant
> regression for people running storage nodes that might move.

Okay, thanks for the feedback.

> I think it would be good to figure out what is the problem really.   I don't
> understand why this is so hard.   The PATH issue makes me want to have
> configure-time finding of the right programs, based on OS, and then to invoke
> them with the configured path, period.

That's what we currently do, except that it isn't at configure-time,
but at run-time, and it tries only a specific path:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/trunk/src/allmydata/util/iputil.py?rev=08590b1f6a880d51751fdcacea6a007ebc568f2e#L160

alternate hosting of that same code, on github:

https://github.com/tahoe-lafs/tahoe-lafs/blob/08590b1f6a880d51751fdcacea6a007ebc568f2e/src/allmydata/util/iputil.py#L160

> Is anyone having an issue on BSD?  There, /sbin/ifconfig is quite stable.  So
> is the issue that various Linux flavors have withdrawn the
> previously-standard interfaces?

That is one of several problems. Here's the full set:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/query?status=!closed&keywords=~iputil

> An alternative would be to have the introducer look at the address that
> appears at it when the node connects, and use that to advertise, or perhaps
> just send it down the wire so the client can decide.

Good idea! I've updated a very old ticket (#50, opened 6 years ago) to
suggest this instead of the "STUNT/ICE" thing that it formerly
suggested:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/50# ask a peer to tell
you what your IP address is (similar to STUNT/ICE)

Regards,

Zooko