I'm getting confused by this.

When I read one part of the OSM wiki I see it talking about classifying
highways purely by their physical characteristics (which after some
thought makes vague sense, since you could in theory product and
alternative map based on road 'importance' by using REF tags), however
these pages appear to be in the minority. (we'll call this the
'physical' definiton)

The majority of pages talk about classifying roads by their state
funding designation and or highway reference which is fine because
these are pretty easy to explicitly define. (And this definition seems
to work pretty well in rural areas where all roads are close to the
same quality). (We'll call this the 'reference' definition)

Unfortunately there's another set of definitions specifically for Urban
areas (a definition which itself is very vague since the boundaries of
said areas are completely subjective) which suggest defining roads by
their important in the city's network (such as whether they are cross
city or link roads or whatever). This is unfortunately a highly
subjective definition depending on where one lives in a city and
therefore what one considers the main traffic routes from their
perspective (I know this since I've lived in 1/2 a dozen places around
my city and my perception of what were main roads has changed over that
time to centre on my current location). (We'll call this the
'importance' definition)

Now poking around the various Capital Cities of Australia looking for
inspiration in the work of others I see:

* Tasmania appears to be using close to the 'reference' definition
* Perth also appears to be doing something similar (using SR's < 10 and
SR's ending in 0 as the trunk list)
* Brisbane appears to be using a 'physical' definition
* Melbourne talks in it's wiki website about following something close
to a 'reference' definition but upon examination looks like an
'importance' definition.
* Canberra uses something akin to a 'physical' definition
* Sydney looks to be using a 'reference' definition
* Darwin doesn't have enough roads to really appreciate this concept
but appears to be using a 'reference' definition.

Which brings me to Adelaide, my home City, which can only be described
as a 'pigs breakfast' at the moment, following none of these particular
models very well at all. I've attempted in the last couple of weeks to
follow the 'reference' model and start organising things but it would
appear that others don't agree with model.

So after all that waffling on, my question is:
What is the 'correct' OSM model to follow? Are we mapping for
navigational purposes purely (and therefore a reference or improtance
model) or to describe the world (and therefore a physical model)?

And whichever of those models we follow I have questions about the
definitions also (but I'd like to sort out the model we should be
working towards first).

--

=b