Hello All,

I need a mentor, preferably in the Canberra region.

I am a drive test technician and monitor mobile phone coverage across
Australia. I do approx 120,000km + per year and I have been collecting masses
of GPS data in two formats.

Firstly, which I will process last, from October 2007 to June 2008 is data in
Excel format. The 'problem' with processing this is how to eliminate the
periods of time when I am stopped. I'll worry about that later, but I will need
someone to advise me on how to convert Excel format data to gpx or whatever it
is, and then up load it.

Secondly, which I want to do firstly, all data recorded since June is straight
ASCII text from the RS232 port of a Garmin eTrex. I can process this info to
eliminate the stationary info, and can extract lat and long easily to form
another text file, from which I could import to Excel and then up load, or even
to directly make gpx files myself. I can write console applications in Delphi
to do simple conversions of text to text, and I would prefer to make the gpx
files directly from the straight text.

I need to know:

1: Just what is needed in the gpx files, particularly the header? I have a
basic understanding of xml and html (it's all text). The header is what's
holding me up at the moment.

2: Is the date and time stamp needed? I presume not.

3: One of my main 'holdups' is that I wanted to upload altitude as well as lat
and long, but I have been told that altitude is deleted by OSM. Is it OK to
upload altitude or is this just overloading the system with unnecessary info?
My thoughts are that lat long and alt will give 3D pix for some future
generation of OSM, but if the general opinion is not to upload it, then I wont.

4: I see references to GPSBabel, but cannot make any sense of it. I downloaded
something, but it doesnt work.

5: Are there any clubs/groups/meetings of OSM people in the Canberra region who
meet on a regular basis?

Thanks,

Graeme Wilson VK1RE