Hi.

The tag used affects how big the label is drawn, and at what zoom it
appears. e.g. You have to be zoomed right in to see place=locality.

I think the location and significance of the place might affect what tag you
use. Personally I'd say > 1000 people is definitely a town. If some town was
remote I think I'd be more likely to call it a town than a village, as it is
the only thing around.

 - Ben.