>> So what is the problem you are having, if not with the
>> location or the tag?
>
> Making a river look like a river...

Put more nodes in the way that shows the river.  Had a look at what you
have done but given the lack of hi-res images from yahoo there is not much
else that can be done.

>> Welcome to OSM.  You can use the imagery available,
>> you can walk the line
>
> I'm not quite fit enough to walk/run the 130+ km of track :)

Find where roads cross the railway and note these as gps points then
interpolate between them.

>> with a GPS, you can find and interpolate from surrounding
>> features, points,
>> or a combination of the above.  You can find an out of
>> copyright map from
>> when the railway was built, which may be able to use to map
>> the route once
>> you have one or two points.
>
> The line shows on parish maps, I'll have to try and get access to them
> from the library or something.

Be careful of copyright issues.

>> What is the town you are mapping?
>
> Inverell, NSW
>
> Not 100% sure if what I've done so far is right or not, but there was only
> a handful of streets when I started.

Please include a source tag eg source=survey so when someone else comes
along they can update if better info available.

--
Cheers
Ross