--- On Fri, 12/6/09, Liz <ed...@billiau.net> wrote:

> But we can improve the accuracy over time as DF notes.

Well according to wikipedia, there are 31 US NAVSTAR sats broadcasting, the
chinese are planning to put up 35, the europeans are planning 27 and the
russians plan to have their system back up to 30 by 2011.

All going well to their respective planning there will be in excess of 120 sats
broadcasting on several diff diff frequencies which will eliminate virtually
all positioning errors relative to WGS84.

This means we should see accuracy into the sub-metre range or sub-centremetre
range for consumer grade hand held devices. Surveryors who currently spend
large chunks of cash getting that sort of accuracy now, will be into the sub-mm
range.

While the maps might look strange until they are fixed I still think taking
advantage of more accurate information where possible is beneficial even if it
doesn't seem like it at the time with maps potentially looking weird, otherwise
it just shifts the work to someone else later on that is annoyed by the
incorrect placement of POIs or roads to fix up.