--- On Wed, 17/6/09, Ross Scanlon <i...@4x4falcon.com> wrote:
> The greater good is supported by the end product not by
> data (GPX files)
> that, although supports the end product, is not shown in
> the final map or
> routing solutions.

We were always told to show our working out in school for a reason, to prove we
knew how to derive the answer, and if not to show where we went wrong,
otherwise you can only make assumptions about the final product without any
certainty of how you came to that conclusion.

> And yet again you are assuming I'm saying something totally
> different to
> what I'm saying.  What I'm refering to is when there
> are multiple traces
> all less than 2m apart IN MOST CASES not the accuracy of
> the gps.  Who
> said I don't have better than consumer grade equipment?

Which is why I refined my answer in further emails, if someone does have better
than consumer grade kit it's all the more reason for it to end up in the OSM
database to give better averages, rather than have them skewed by less accurate
equipment because of assumptions made by those committing changes without
showing their working out.

> Most consumer grade will be less than 5m but generally
> arround 10m
> depending on particular hardware used but that's a matter
> of checking the
> HDOP at the time.  At no point did I say anything

GPS chips don't always get HDOP accurate, or they lie.