Just to let everyone know what's happening, the guy I work for has become
interested in both helping the community and to get into selling mapping
services. He also has numerous business connections.

There has already been some unofficial talks with a company that makes phone
handsets with GPS/3G and they seem willing to donate quite a number of these
for some kind of schools/education programme.

The idea is the phones would be lent out on a per month basis, along with an
education pack describing all the ways schools can get involved in various
activities, hopefully it can be made fun and exciting. :)

For this to happen there needs to be some kind of official presence for these
companies to deal with, if they donate goods it has to be owned by some entity,
as the company offering phones won't want to deal with schools directly.

Most government departments don't like dealing with individuals so there needs
to be an official group behind this.

I don't know if starting a local chapter would be the best solution, but on the
other hand things might be made more difficult, if things default to OSMF in
the UK.

However before any of this can occur I really need to know if people have a
genuine concern with setting up a local chapter or not.