--- On Tue, 11/8/09, Ben Kelley <ben.kel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe something on a wiki page, but how do you know to look
> there?

There is a lot of roads marked on g'maps and others that just don't exist,
you'd get lost in the noise.

> doesn't actually exist. This system is not much use to
> someone else trying to survey the same area though.

Yup, exactly, I more or less know what is there when I was surveying it with a
GPS, but that doesn't help the next person, for roads that partially exist I
put a barrier in, but that doesn't help for complete roads that don't exist.

> Another case would be for streets that no longer exist, but
> once existed, and where there are GPS traces in OSM for the
> street that used to exist. (There are a couple in Tamworth
> like this.) I don't have a good solution for these.

Something that came to mind reading your reply was railway=abandoned, it
doesn't render but it's still marked, there's no way we'd get agreement upon
this from the main list they're still going in circles over trees and paths.

Something like highway=abandoned or highway=phantom, I'm not advocating to copy
from other maps, but if you have mapped out streets near by it should be
possible to approximate rough location in OSM database.

Thoughts?