> Also they talk about only adding ref's to relations that
> have the entire highway.

I've been playing about with this marking a tourist route and this makes a lot
of sense. When highways and/or tourist routes share the same physical piece of
road you can have each with it's own relation route, with the ref and name,
instead of trying to cram information about both, or more, routes into the same
tags in a haphazard way.

It also means you can tag streets with the street name and not have to worry
about should you add the highway name, or should you use alt_name or what to do.

I copied information from some of the US tagged interstates, and it looks like
this is how they ended up deciding to tag things.

The highway itself if it doesn't have a street name is blank, then you add all
the ways from the same highway segment into a relation with the following
information:

addr:country=Australia
addr:state=QLD
network=T
ref=20
route=road
type=route

They tag the ways with north/east/south/west because that's what appears on
signs over there, I couldn't think of a good local equivalent so I had all the
roles on all the ways set to 'member'