--- On Mon, 17/8/09, BlueMM <bluemm1975-...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> But my point was if they *are* consistent (same shield
> design), why specify
> state?

Consistent to what?

Some states have gone to a alphanumeric system, some use the old NH shields and
those with the alphanumeric system have different shields between states.

http://www.routemarkers.com/Oceania/

> I don't know if any are consistent right around Australia,
> but I suggest we
> mention drop the state for know national shields.

>From what I've seen there is no consistency, even when they change to the
>alphanumeric system they still differ in the shields they use :)

> I can think of a potentially hundreds of routes which are
> for eg. C123 and
> called TownA-TownB Road.
> It could be that is far more prevalent that needing the
> separate ref/name
> relations. Just trying to keep it simple, anyone else got
> ideas/opinions?

I've only been talking about highways, not roads, I haven't considered what to
do about roads, same thing as streets I suppose.