John Smith-129 wrote:

> --- On Mon, 17/8/09, BlueMM <bluemm1975-...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> But my point was if they *are* consistent (same shield design), why
>> specify state?
>
> Consistent to what?
>
> Some states have gone to a alphanumeric system, some use the old NH
> shields and those with the alphanumeric system have different shields
> between states.
>
> http://www.routemarkers.com/Oceania/

That website appears inaccurate. It says the state route marker is no longer
used in Vic, but there is a route with that marker a block away from me
right now. Also, the M1/7 example appears wrong, AFAIK, the one used in VIC
is more like the NSW one, without the outer green border. It has slightly
rounded inner green square & an outer white border (also rounded).
I don't think the outer green border is worth showing a different shield,
just make them all the same.

Maybe it's worth creating a Australian rendering page on the wiki where we
can collect all the different route signs. With the addr: specifier, there's
no reason why we can't get the Australian/state specific shields into the
main OSM map (mapnik).

John Smith-129 wrote:

>> I don't know if any are consistent right around Australia, but I suggest
>> we
>> mention drop the state for know national shields.
>
> From what I've seen there is no consistency, even when they change to the
> alphanumeric system they still differ in the shields they use :)

Is the tiny differences worth it? I don't think so

John Smith-129 wrote:

>> I can think of a potentially hundreds of routes which are for eg. C123
>> and called TownA-TownB Road.
>> It could be that is far more prevalent that needing the separate ref/name
>> relations. Just trying to keep it simple, anyone else got ideas/opinions?
>
> I've only been talking about highways, not roads, I haven't considered
> what to do about roads, same thing as streets I suppose.

That seems contrary to the new changes to the Australian Tagging Guidelines
regarding M/A/B/C Alphanumeric routes (ie. this proposal). It seems to me to
apply to all road routes. Most of the B&C rural roads I know in Victoria are
not highways.