2009/8/28 Cosmic Charade <cosmichar...@gmail.com>:
> how much better?

I can't really make comparisions because I didn't use a stock kernel,
however some sites I read while installing said there was gains to be
had so I took that option :)

> I have heard kernel tuning can make a substantial difference...  Maybe this
> is worth considering for the netbook - but I hear Debian is very
> conservative and slow to update with new applications?
>
> And would the eeePC branch work on an MSI Wind?  Their basically identical
> as far as I can tell.

I have no idea about a MSI Wind, see what comes up on a search engine I guess.

As for Debian being out of date, that's only Debian stable, the stable
branch is good for servers because you don't get any unexpected
surprises, however for non-server stuff you can run testing or
unstable packages depending how bleeding edge you want to be.

Since I update JOSM independently it doesn't matter to me personally
that the stable packages are out of date, but I run stable packages
because I don't want surprises on my netbook when I go out to map and
end up spending 20-30 mins to fix a problem, kills the mood in a
hurry.