> Have you found cases where the postcode boundaries don't lie on top of
the
> suburb
> boundaries ? (which would make the problem even uglier)

Tell me about it! Having worked for the post office in my youth, I can tell
you that Postcode boundaries are often idiosyncratic. The boundary
represents an easy way for the postie to walk, not a rational suburb
boundary. In my own case, when I moved into my house 15 years ago it was in
one suburb (sensible) but the council redefined the boundaries to match the
Postcode causing much confusion, including with the council which sent rate
notices with the old property address to the new postcode address.