I received a reply about the cost to rent a plane, about 230GBP for
one hour and the airport was close to the place they were
photographying and it was mostly a PR stunt.

Due to the sideways angle they are having difficulty rectifying images
and that side of things is being worked on however companies doing
this on a professional basis have a custom fit out of a plane with
gyro stabalising mounts and super expensive medium format or bigger
film sizes.

I was pointed to this link, which I've already seen and forgot about,
but it seems sat imagery is cheaper than trying to do it by plane:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Aerial_photography_funding_appeals#How_much_does_it_cost

About 12-17$ per sq km, US$ I'm guessing, although AU$ is up to 87c again.

If we could raise the funds needed the only question then is what do
we want imagery of?