> I'm still a relative newcomer to OSM (and am still in wonder at the
> complexity and enormity of the task!) and have found this discussion quite
> interesting.  I only use Potlatch as I was advised it was simple, and for
> beginners, and it loaded by default in the edit screen.  I use an Oregon300
> GPS.  I started only using the tag source=survey until Potltach added the GPS
> tag.  I thought that the Wiki had simply not been updated but that some
> "official" (so to speak) decision had been made to encourage the use of the
> tag source=GPS.  I then went back to my traces and changed the source to GPS
> to keep up with the default application.

Potlatch is good for simple edits, josm is much better in the long run.

Have a look at:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Comparison_of_editors

as you can see there a few to chose from.

> From what I've read I now will go back to source=survey and add the tag
> survey=gps.  I will consider further the advantages of further definition to
> GPS type (I think that could well end up in a Commodore/Falcon and
> Landcruiser/Patrol debate).

Good idea of John's wasn't it.  Yes gps type could easily end up like that and
I don't see any great advantage, unless you have dgps or the like.

Cheers
Ross