On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 07:36:03 +0930
Jim Croft <jim.cr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had never really thought of this before, but land traveller and
> mariner have quite different concepts of what it means to reach 'the
> coast'.  For the former it is when you get your feet wet, for the
> latter it is when you run into something.  And there are places where
> there is quite a gap between the two.
>
> Given that OSM is a land-based project, the mean high water mark is
> probably might be the best to use.

Where I've realigned the PGS data to sat images I've used the high water mark
where it was discernable, otherwise as below.

With the Yahoo images where I live (and most of the Qld coast north of
Brisbane) that's not really practicable as they are not hires, in this case
I've aligned it with the beach/vegetation line (where there is a beach or
rocks) and the vegetation line where there is no beach.  This is about as close
as you are going to get it in this situation.

The PGS data is an approximation of the High Water Mark not the mean high water
mark see here:

http://www.nga.mil/portal/site/nga01/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&itemID=9328fbd8dcc4a010VgnVCMServer3c02010aRCRD&beanID=1629630080&viewID=Article

Using gpsdrive it's possible to add the SRTM (contour data) and ocean depth
data to overlay the osm data and display a usable coastline (not for navigation
though yet).

--
Cheers
Ross