On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 8:02 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> just for fun I've printed out a walking-papers page and am going to see if it
>> is any use for tagging shops in a suburban strip shopping strip
>> and then how will I define the survey=
>
> source=survey
> survey=observation

I don't think survey=observation means anything. source=survey always
implies survey=observation - that is, if you visit someplace and don't
make any *observations*, you aren't doing mapping.

The source of an element, I think, comes from two places: source of
lat/long (e.g. the location of the road) - how about source:location=*
- and source of tag values (e.g. the name of the road) - already
defined as source:<key>=*. It may be useful to tag these separately.

For the walking-papers example, for each new shop node where shop=*
and name=* is entered, presumably you would have
source:location=walking-papers; source:name=survey;
source:shop=survey. This implies that you used the walking-papers only
to decide where to locate the new shop nodes. If you used a GPS and
added a waymark on the ground, or used photo- or audio-mapping
synchronised to a gpx track, you would instead use
source:location=survey; survey=gps, etc. If you named the shop from
memory, rather than on-the-ground survey, you'd use
source:name=knowledge. If you added a shop node *in a particular
location* from memory (e.g. you remember it's on this particular
corner), you'd use source:location=knowledge.

Another example: If going out with a GPS and filling in noname roads,
where the locations are already traced from, say yahoo, I think you
would only need to add source:name=survey. In this instance I don't
think your GPS has anything to do with adding name=* to pre-mapped
noname roads.

And so on and so forth. That was a bit long winded. In short, to be
thorough, use source:location=* and source:<key>=*. As long as
"location" is never used as a key name (I can't see why it would be),
it'll work :)