2009/11/18 Liz <ed...@billiau.net>:
> it needs to be able to run open source stuff

Almost all phones can run open source software, you'd need to be more
specific about what you want to run and find out if that or something
similar runs on the platform.

> have some decent battery life (that's the freerunner's downfall)

Most phones can swap batteries and you can buy higher capacity after
market batteries, for example the HTC dream does about 6 hours of
constant GPS usage on the 1100mAh battery it came with, but for $50 I
got a 2450mAh battery.

> and does not need to have a camera

It's actually quite difficult to get a phone without a camera these days.

> GSM band

I don't think you can get anything but GSM based phones in Australia
any more, Telstra ditched CDMA for UTMS etc, these days it's more of a
case of if you need 3G data in regional areas then you need a 3G
handset capable of 900Mhz for Optus and Voda, or 850Mhz for Telstra.