On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, John Smith wrote:
> 2009/11/18 Liz <ed...@billiau.net>:
> > it needs to be able to run open source stuff
>
> Almost all phones can run open source software, you'd need to be more
> specific about what you want to run and find out if that or something
> similar runs on the platform.
i like being able to choose exactly which apps are on the freerunner
obviously i want decent gps and mapping apps
i am not really into playing music, videos, browsing the net from the phone (
my phone bill is about $5 to $10 a month - its a nuisance item which i have to
have because i have to answer it

> > have some decent battery life (that's the freerunner's downfall)
>
> Most phones can swap batteries and you can buy higher capacity after
> market batteries, for example the HTC dream does about 6 hours of
> constant GPS usage on the 1100mAh battery it came with, but for $50 I
> got a 2450mAh battery.
>
> > and does not need to have a camera
>
> It's actually quite difficult to get a phone without a camera these days.
i knew that

> > GSM band
>
> I don't think you can get anything but GSM based phones in Australia
> any more, Telstra ditched CDMA for UTMS etc, these days it's more of a
> case of if you need 3G data in regional areas then you need a 3G
> handset capable of 900Mhz for Optus and Voda, or 850Mhz for Telstra.
i'm using vodafone, because being able to get out of range is a good excuse
not to answer the thing.

--
Is this really happening?