My 2 cents worth about mobile phones:

Absolutely make sure you have the 850 to 900 Mhz band if you want range. If you
rely on 1900 or 2100 MHz you will only get 4 km. The best range I have got so
far is 46.6 km with my personal phone.

I doubt you can buy a new phone with only GSM these days. You need 3G. There
are LOTs of places that dont have GSM.

Under my contract of employment I am not permitted to promote any phone company
or product. Just trust me on the 850 - 900 MHz bit.

Graeme Wilson