Great, saves me putting together the patch.   Basically did the same, and it's
been working great.
The only other thing was to increased the max cache setting size from 999Mb to
9999Mb in PreferencesDialog.ui.  Even though the largest cache size so far has
been 800Mb still thought 999Mb maybe exceeded.

In an earlier thread someone spoke about aligning the tiles to a known point
when using JOSM.  Is this possible with Merkaartor?  I haven't noticed any
tiles that needed aligning once the nearmap tiles were corrected for
Melbourne.

Evan