Many moons ago, I had a long chat while at the nags with my tame IT IP
lawyer about all things map and copyright related. While it wasn't paid
for legal advice (which makes no difference as the paid advice doesn't
mean much either apart from a slightly better nights sleep), his basic
opinion on using only copyright to protect the OSM data was that it
probably really wouldn't do the job at all. He said that in the AU legal
domain, we'd be better off with some sort of contractual arrangement as
well, over copyright alone. This was prior to the IceTV ruling, (so the
status quo at the time was the DTMS case), but he thought that
eventually that we would get a Feist-like ruling in Australia - which we
sort of did with IceTV (ish).

The reality is that we don't know which one is better until both CC by
SA and ODbl are directly challenged in court - something I seriously
doubt will ever happen.

In reality, OSM, due to lack of funds etc, can really only just jump up
and down and scream if there is a license breach, but can't easily take
the offender to court (unless the offender is a really small fish and
easily scared).

Best chance we have is to become ubiquitous, rather than dominating...

Anyway, the licence debate has degenerated almost to the acrimonious
depths of the Liberal party at this stage...

And for a quick (semi) light hearted look at the debate (beautifully
combined wth the recent footpath  "discussion", have a look at the
latest post from fakestevec - http://fakestevec.blogspot.com

Matt