2009/12/9 Liz <ed...@billiau.net>:
> On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, Sam Couter wrote:
>> Ethanol is
>> for drinking and swindling motorists and governments out of some cash so
>> it should be noted for those of us who'd rather push the car than put E10
>> in it.
>
> I thought E10 was so I didn't have to pay a 30c per litre premium to put 95
> octane fuel in a car.

The problem with E10 for most cars is it doesn't recognise the extra
oxygen atom so the car runs less effiecent by about 3% which is why
it's 3% cheaper most of the time, however cars in the US can run up to
E85 because the chip in the car can auto sense the extra oxygen and
alter the the fuel/air mix.

The other problem for older cars is the the fuel line may not be able
to cope with the ethernol and can eat the rubber/plastic away,
most/all modern cars don't suffer this problem.

Of course by using ethernol you are burning food, luckily most of
which is from sugar cane in Australia, which has about an 8x return of
energy unlike the silly americans burning corn which doesn't even
break even energy wise and it's driving up the cost of fertilisers etc
and making food production more expensive and so the world goes on
starving.

Of course if they pumped the waste from coal fire power plants into
green houses that have water tanks full of algea and then turn the
algea into fuel you gat something like 40,000-80,000L of ethernol per
acre, it gets rid of all the emissions in a safe manner and we don't
need to import crude oil.

But of course that would be too smart so we can't have that.