I'm a bushwalker and I'm attempting to map the Blue Mountains, including
roads, tracks, cliffs and watercourses. A key reason is that I'd like to
be able to use OSM to auto-generate maps for my website, which I
currently have to create by hand eg
http://ozultimate.com/bushwalking/walk/239/bob_turners_track01.pdf
My maps also don't have contours, which I would like.

Most bushwalkers use and are used to "normal" contour maps such as those
produced by the NSW Dept of Lands. I'd suggest keeping a style sheet
similar to them. I have maps for other states and they are similar,
though each has its variations.

For examples, have a look at
http://imagery.maps.nsw.gov.au/
Zoom in and select Topographic maps (Current series) under Display images

Other than contours, the key things bushwalkers want to see for
navigation are:
- tracks
   - render as dashed black line
     - width/length of of dash dependent on difficulty/visibility
     - current mapnik rendering is ok for normal tracks, perhaps should
be a little longer
     - fire trails with car=no as longer thick black dash
     - fire trails with car=yes as red dash
   - ideally there needs to be more granularity of track difficulty
     - track_visibility=* is probably useful
     - sac_scale=* is less useful as it is too specific to alpine areas
     - however, something indicating difficulty/exposure would be useful
     - harder tracks would have shorter/thinner black dash
- cliffs
   - render as solid red line with ticks on the cliff side
- watercourses
   - render as solid blue or dashed blue line depending on width eg
     - river - wide solid blue
     - stream - thin solid blue
     - intermittent stream - thin dashed blue
   - main deficiency in tagging is the need for an intermittent
watercourse tag eg waterway=stream_non_perennial or intermittent=yes
- waterfalls
   - render as thin blue line across watercourse
- above features should all have names render
- other topographic features like peaks, passes, ranges, ridges, spurs,
valleys
   - should have names render but probably no other marker
   - some of those (eg ridges, spurs) don't seem to have any method in
OSM (proposed or otherwise) for tagging at the moment

cheers
----
t...@ozultimate.com
Canyoning? try http://ozultimate.com/canyoning