Ben Last <ben.l...@nearmap.com> wrote:
> Where a street name is added or corrected via our site, our current approach
> is
>to add or modify the source tag to be "nearmap", but yesterday I was
>(coincidentally) looking at whether we should be appending to any existing
>source so that we don't inadvertently remove attribution.  The wiki page is,
>at
>best, unclear on this subject.

The established meaning of setting "source" to "nearmap" is that the position
of
the object was traced from NearMap PhotoMaps. I don't think it's right to set
"source" to "nearmap" when a user on your website adds a name to a street,
since
that information cannot be gained from PhotoMaps.

I would encourage you to allow the user to specify the source of the name for
each street they correct or add names to. These should be stored in the tag
"source:name". Choices could be "survey" (checked the sign), "knowledge" (from
memory), etc.

If that's not feasible, I hope you use some other technique to make it very
clear to users that they must not copy street names from a non-free map.