On 16 September 2010 07:58, Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com> wrote:
> Or did you mean CommonMap?
> http://commonmap.info

Unlikely, since CommonMap is cc-by, not cc-by-sa...

> Or did you mean SharedMap?
> http://www.sharedmap.org

At this stage this is run and used by a single person, perhaps this
will expand in future, although others have expressed similar
sentiments about running their own personal repositories, so perhaps
he's on to something.

> You overlook the obvious, that discussion can lead to additional
> rights grants from publishers.

And how many years must we wait before they'll be concluded?

> In the interim, those tired of listening to license-chat, can go
> mapping.  They can decide that they don't care about a few loud,

Or keep arm chair mapping from existing sources, for those that are allowed to.

> repeated voices[1] haggling over non-mapping matters, they can get a
> new account, and map from ground survey and direct observation,

Why exactly do they need a new account just to do ground surveying? Or
are you making the assumption that there could be a great deal of data
lost because they have edits mixed with Nearmap or other sources of
data, I wonder how many that will upset when they figure out you've
just wiped out 1-2 years worth of work...

> knowing that their contributions will be able to carry forward with
> OpenStreetMap.

Perhaps you may come to realise that some don't care that their
contributions to go elsewhere, regardless where they go in the
interim, they just care about getting on and mapping in their usual
work flow until such times that that is no longer possible, at which
point they'll either give up completely or go on to another project
that has kept all their existing edits.