On 16 September 2010 00:37, Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net> wrote:
> I believe John Smith initially suggested it to NearMap. Ben Last at NearMap

No, I posted the question publicly to the legal talk list, my concern
wasn't just about Nearmap but any source that may be too easy to
access by new contributors that would be unaware that they would be
breaching contract with OSM or the source or both.

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2010-August/004069.html

> In addition I feel very strongly that copyright on imagery does not, and
> should not, 'transfer' to tracings from that imagery

Copyright isn't transferring from imagery to tracings, Nearmap have
terms and conditions (contract) to use their imagery, they are happy
to donate the use of their imagery and other resources (bandwidth, CPU
time etc) if the tracings are made available under certain licenses,
if this is unsuitable they also offer commercial licenses.