On Fri, 2010-11-05 at 12:33 +1100, Andrew Harvey wrote:

> Like putting a way down the middle of each lane and then tieing that
> back to the road, or like just adding a lane:n:feature = value to the
> existing road way? Then you could do something like lane:0:restriction
> = rightturnonly.

The problem with lane:n:feature, is say youre approaching traffic lights
and you have a right-turn light with a long slip lane and a short left
turn lane to avoid the lights, how do you tag this?  When you go from
lanes=2 to lanes=3, how does a renderer know which side the extra lane
is on?

If you have a 3-into-2 merge, how do you indicate which lane merges
easily?  Sometimes you might have a single slip-lane which joins a
2-lane road and becomes 3-lane.

Another possibility for this tag, is an extra lane for pick-up/set-down
at transport hubs or pull-in bus-stop lane, which doesnt have a barrier
to the main way.  In which case the lane might have psv tag or
something.

These are the sort of situations I think were being referred to as not
having a standard tagging method yet.

David