Yes, hopefully the OSM-Foundation will provide a full planet.osm file.

... However, to be on the safe side (there is no benifit for
osm-foundation to help), having a bunch (i'd say at least 10) copies
of the latest planet.osm scattered across many websites / offlines and
external hard drives will ensure the safety of the years of volunteers
efforts.

Also, having local regional copies of .osm files will make the task
easier to filter out the data by users (and licences).

This way once the other API's are called to help (March 1st 2011), we
will have a good volume of data to begin (or keep going as in the case
of fosm.org) so then it will cause a very minimal disruption for
mappers of all types.

cheers,
sam

On 12/18/10, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 1:15 PM, David Murn <da...@incanberra.com.au> wrote:
>> On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 09:49 +1100, Andrew Harvey wrote:
>>> I've put some details on how to add NearMap back in for the latest
>>> JOSM versions on the wiki,
>>
>> Why?  Did you fail to read the minutes that were posted?  Basically OSMF
>> has given itself the ultimate authority to remove all non-compliant data
>> by end of March.  The foundation board also considered the loss of data
>> and does not consider its removal a reason not to proceed with new
>> terms.
>>
>> It appears the foundation have given a big screw-you to every
>> contributor who has contributed and complained about very minor wording
>> in their new licences, and considers that the removal of our contributed
>> data, is acceptable.  That its better to have a blank map than it is to
>> have a project of happy contributors.
>>
>> So, whens the aussie fork coming?
>
> The OSMF stated that there will be a (full history?) dump prior to any
> removal of CC BY-SA data, this can then form the start of the osm
> ccbysa fork.

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blogs: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
http://Acrosscanadatrails.blogspot.com
Skype: samvekemans
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #osm-ca Canadian OSM channel (an open chat room)
@Acrosscanadatrails