Martin, for your information there was a bit of work done on this sort
of thing in the past for Aussie parks covered by this, based on data
from http://data.australia.gov.au I think.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
Date: 11 January 2011 22:34
Subject: [Tagging] tagging world heritage (UNESCO) and other protected
areas/features
To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools" <tagg...@openstreetmap.org>

Looking up the wiki there are several proposals for protected / listed features.

1.
The oldest is this:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/unesco_world_heritage
suggesting historic=unesco_world_heritage

actually I'd like to deprecate this because using the key historic
will create collisions on many features (that are historic themselves,
like historic=archeological_site), and there is the more detailed (2)
covering the same features.

2.
There is also this:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/heritage

The page suggests to use abbreviations as values, which is not
according to our general tagging rules (and IMHO pointless, why not
use the full word and get a more understandable mapping?). But there
are some useful ideas for subtags on the page.

3.
The most universal feature is IMHO this:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dprotected_area

allowing for cultural, natural and other protection types. A problem
might arise if a feature is at the same time protected for different
reasons.

IMHO we could try to unify those different proposals. Are there
already practical experiences / tags in wider use? Are there other
proposals covering the same issues?

cheers,
Martin