I believe this is the same issue that I raised before.
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2010-September/004719.html

My interpretation of John Smith's view was that in some cases the
admin boundary is defined by where the river (or in this case
coastline) is. In this case they should be stuck together (on the same
way). I agree in this case they should be stuck together (perhaps as
different ways with shared nodes though, or as different relations
with shared ways).

The problem however is since the ABS data (as least as far as I know)
didn't come with any additional meta-data saying which admin
boundaries are fixed to a geographical object, and which are just
coordinates, we don't know which to share nodes and which not too.

This is a problem now as we have data sources which give is the
coastline and river boundaries more accurate than the ABS data, so yes
we need to decide whats best here. If we don't know or are unsure
which admin boundaries are fixed to a given geographical object, I
think it would be safer to leave the admin boundaries where they are
and shift the coastline to a new, more accurate way, leaving the ABS
admin boundary in tact. i.e. your option 1.