I had a look at the Vicnames database which is about as official as it gets
regarding registered geographic names in Victoria. According to Vicnames both
stations were registered on 2 May 1966 as the one-word versions: Ferntree Gully
and Upper Ferntree Gully.

While I am loath to dispute the accuracy of a rail enthusiast web page which
tend to be pretty thorough, I would place more faith in the official government
name registry than a rail web page which says the name was changed in the
1970s, especially given the large amount of material that concurs with the
"Ferntree" version.

In any case, we should be mapping what's "on-the-ground" anyway, i.e. the
station signage (unless this signage is contradictory in which case it may be
required to use official records).

Alex.