Hi,
'linear network water flow' should suffice. ... it's been recommended
to tag it as 'directional=yes' where it's just a line in the direction
of the water. .. if it's unknown 'directional=unknown'.

You could put 'oneway=yes' but don't let the talk-ca list know about
it as some people will get all excited about it.
 ... it'll just add a nice arrow across the river, and make it look good.

cheers,
sam

On 4/9/11, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The historical map I'm getting the information from calls them "...
> Reach". According to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reach_%28geography%29 "Most generally, a
> reach is any length of a stream between any two points."
>
> I can't think of a better term myself, so unless there are any other
> suggestions I'll use reach for the time being.
>
> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Elizabeth Dodd <ed...@billiau.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 18:22:49 +1000
>> Andrew Harvey <andrew.harv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to map some named reaches ("straight portion of a stream
>>> or river, as from one turn to another;") part of a major river.
>>>
>>> The river (e.g.
>>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-33.50134&lon=150.8778&zoom=15&layers=M
>>> ) currently has both a riverbank area drawn, and a way down the middle
>>> of the river. To make things even more complicated, the way running
>>> down the middle of the river has both waterway tags and administrative
>>> boundary tags.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking the ideal way to map this (reaches + river + admin
>>> boundary) would be split the way into segments for each reach, tag
>>> each segment as waterway=reach, name=Foo Reach, then collect up the
>>> river segments into a relation which contains waterway=river, name=Bar
>>> River, and just leave the riverbank area as is. Not sure what to do
>>> with the admin boundary tags though.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what's best though. Any thoughts? Thanks.
>>>

>> I'd be looking at another word for "reach". I'm not making any
>> suggestions, but it isn't a simple English term, and using difficult
>> terms makes the cross-language stuff hard.

---
Across Canada Trails - Beyond 2017 - The National Trails Network
Victoria, BC Canada

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blog: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
Skype: 'Sam Vekemans'

Member, CommonMap Inc.  http://commonmap.org/
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #CommonMap
Also find us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn