On 26/08/2011, at 1:33 PM, Nick Hocking wrote:
I'm sure all the avid "tracers"out there will deny this,but, I believe that this is the downside to tracing. Once an area looks well mapped, there is little incentive for anyone to go there to map it properly. I'd really like it if all roads that don't have names yet (in OSM) were just deleted. Then II'd be much more inclined to drive there and collect all the infomation.

If a road doesn't have a name, then it shows up in the No-names render - that should be enough incentive to go there.

When I went to Dubbo a couple of weeks ago, I printed off the no-names map specifically to get some names. A couple of the roads I had previously traced myself from Bing prior to going.

Also, on my last trip I did as much tracing from Bing as I could before I went, then got names on the way. For example, prior to my trip, Peterborough (South Australia) only had the main roads passing through. I traced all the streets prior to travel, then collected as many street names as I could on the way through (there are still a few names to collect). I didn't have time to drive every street, so if I hadn't done the tracing first, I would have had to leave Peterborough with no streets (maybe doing one or two streets only on the way through).

Mark P.