On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Ian Sergeant <inas66+...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As I said, it is an issue as old as OSM that isn't likely to be resolved
> here and now.  You may recall in the early days of segments, there was a
> capability to add a path from tracing, which didn't appear on the map, and
> then when it was surveyed, confirmed and named, it would have a rendered way
> that was part of the map.
>
> Personally, I think people shouldn't  map areas when they don't have any
> knowledge of the topology and layout because I think fixing errors takes
> several orders of magnitude longer than the tracing.   Any perceived time
> saving is illusory, when someone has to visit the area sooner or later
> anyway.  I think having a complete map is very long term goal, and having an
> accurate map is a higher priority.  I'd much rather a street be missing than
> wrong, and accuracy comes cheaper when accurate work is done the first
> time.  OSM remains a successful project, and when we have people who are
> mapping underground pipes and antennas on top of buildings, volunteer time
> doesn't seem to be the first consideration.

The imagery never becomes available before the on the ground
geography. Giving eager mapers time to fill in via survey before the
imagery comes.

> However, I understand that the community has a divergence of views.  I
> understand that everyone makes mistakes, even from the most detailed survey,
> and accordingly I'm sure you will find as many supporters of your position
> as detractors.
>
> If everyone makes sure that the source tags are updated accurately, and
> continue to discuss errors we find in a cooperative manner, hopefully we'll
> all manage to map happily every after.

... and if you find errors in the existing data (whether it be from
survey or tracing) you are free to fix it up.

The only grounds I can think of for the community to not accept data
from contributors is incompatible license or incorrect data. If
imagery leads to incorrect data, all the community can do is fix it up
from their survey work.

All the time we are really a do-ocracy. If you prefer ground survey,
then go out and do some ground surveys and soon the map will be full
of ground surved work, in fact I've probably passed you in the Shire
doing the same thing without even realising.