Nick… I'm not sure what you're doing, it sounds fascinating, mysterious and
dangerous. I like it. Please let me know what path you're taking through Sydney
so I can avoid the area completely... I don't want to crash a brand new $30m
Waratah into your ladder!

This info from ARTC will be handy …
http://www.artc.com.au/library/GI_05_loading_restrictions.pdf

Also, thank you for fixing those track sections at St Marys. Do you know what
happened there?

Given there was a derailment there 2 months ago, I find this a spooky
co-incidence...
http://hornsby-advocate.whereilive.com.au/news/story/train-delays-after-derailment-at-st-marys/

"Mr Eid said the derailment was under investigation and that he believed a
component from a freight train fell onto the track."  …. a very large ladder,
perhaps?  :-)

You might find this site an interesting source of tunnel information… but sadly
no widths or loading gauges .  http://www.nswrail.net/infrastructure/tunnel.php

If you're interested in the evolution of loading gauges in NSW, I recommend a
book published by the Australian Railway Historical Society called "The
Electrification of Sydney and Suburban Railways" which explains the decision
that lead to a new wide-bodied loading gauge adopted for construction of the
Harbour Bridge and City Underground Railway… a bold move with ongoing
repercussions today (e.g. you can't send a wide-bodied train such as an OSCAR
any further west than Springwood without major and expensive modifications to
the infrastructure -- so…. what happens to outer Blue Mountains train services
once our narrow-bodied V-sets are eventually retired and replaced with OSCARs
hmmm??).

Finally… if you're confused by all these sizes, just remember it all gets back
to the width of 2 horses asses.
http://infobluemountains.net.au/rail/horse-ass.htm

BJ