Hi Matt,
  The question about mapping old, historical features is much wider than
just the Australian context. I'm pretty sure the current consensus is that
we old rail lines should be mapped - even if there is not much to see on
the ground. There might be more than you think - there's a station building
(now a community hall, I think), other things too, perhaps. There are
probably other former railways about with much less to see (the Rosstown
Railway comes to mind) - at least with this one there are physical remnants
such as tracks.

So, yes, I object. Feel free to raise the issue on the main OSM talk list
though.

Steve