Ditto with historical names. Piera St in East Brunswick was originally named Nicholas St, and Jenkin St was Baden St in 1936. No idea why they were changed - confusion with other more major streets nearby I guess - but there is no sign of the old name on the ground. Yeah - I know there is a fixed historical name tag I can set, but even then I wonder about it. It's not like anyone in the street ever called it that (which is possibly different to something like Whitehorse Road in Nunawading, which I think is technically now Maroondah Highway, but Whitehorse is the historical name that is still in use)

What we really need is a better storage model - the simple one we use just isn't up to the task for this kind of data. It barely copes with teh actual "on-the-ground" info as it is. Remember segments, anyone?

Matt

On 26/11/2012 1:38 PM, Paul Norman wrote:
From: Alex Sims [mailto:a...@softgrow.com]
Subject: Re: [talk-au] Historical rail lines

On 26/11/2012 10:38 AM, mick wrote:
I'm in two minds about removing 'historical' data.

Yes, objects no longer visible on the ground shouldn't be rendered on
the map.
I've been following this discussion with interest. We do mark and should
mark administrative boundaries which are not visible on the ground. Can
the logic for these boundaries which be usefully extended to historical
data?
The subject of historical rail lines and historical roads came up on the
talk-us@ mailing list relatively recently.

As always, there were multiple views. The result of the discussion was that
the general view is that historic information only belongs in OSM when there
is some trace on the ground.

As a practical matter, historic roads are not generally mapped in OSM.
Whenever a road is physically realigned and the new alignment mapped in OSM
the old alignment is not saved as a separate way. If I survey the area I
only look at how it looks now so I don't know if the old alignment in the
database is because it was aligned that way in the past or because the data
was inaccurate.