Ah, waldo00...., I guess I may have jumped the gun a bit, sorry ! I
initially misread your message as saying subjective tags are a no-no.
Can I paraphrase you ? Use objective tags if possible, then, if
necessary, subjective ones determined by some sound guidelines
documented on the wiki ?

We are marching side by side so far ....

However, I don't think we have suitable, sound guidelines on the wiki !

I tried to get some support for extending tracktype= (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Davo ) but not enough people
were interested. I did not consider it a great solution but was one that
would work. Then tried to get some other consensus solution, again, not
enough interest.

So, its just
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#Unsealed_and_4wd_Roads

Sigh ....