On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 8:42 PM, David Bannon <dban...@internode.on.net> wrote:
> Just a thought here, we'd really like "the renderers" to show
> unpaved/unsealed/whatever roads differently from sealed ones. In particular,
> the mapnik rendered slippery map on the OSM website....

FYI, the map style I'm working on for cycle touring does make this distinction:
http://emscycletours.site44.com/map2.html#egrt

Also a quick stat for you. 165,000 highways in Australia have a
surface tag. 718,000 don't.

> They show little interest I must admit but will show even less if we point
> to a whole range of surface= tags that need that treatment. So might be
> better agreeing on one term rather than being very specific and saying
> 'dirt', 'gravel'  etc. As I have mentioned before, this is a road safety
> issue as much as a presentation one.

You might be right - but on a technical front, it's no more burdensome
to show all of [unsealed, unpaved, gravel, dirt] as a dashed line
rather than just, say, unpaved.

Steve