Brett, pretty nicely put, agree unreservedly !

Might add though, while we all see lots to do, OSM is already an incredibly useful thing. I am currently travelling from Central Victoria to Far North Queensland and relying on OSM pretty much exclusively. I'll be hitting some interesting dirt roads and feel confident that I'll be fine!

Where I am heading was not mapped on either OSM or Google but I could quite easily get some approximation in to OSM via Bing and will refine it when I am there. How good is that ?

David