I have made a diary entry about using the LPI Base Map to add road names in Sydney using JOSM .. applies elsewhere too.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Warin61/diary/37528

The base map is also usefull for National Park boundaries ... some of these are rather 'confused'. It does not help for park to park boundaries.