As Andrew pointed out explicit permission is required to import/trace etc, data you do not own. It's part of the contributor terms of osm.

http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Contributor_Terms

This basically says "if you don't own the data then you have permission to use it".

Otherwise as below: