Hi,

The road is a vector, representing the road.  It does not represent the
road centreline. It has properties, such as width and lanes, and sidewalks.

If the boundary *is* the physical feature, then it is not corrupting the
data by making it align with the physical feature. If the boundary is not
the physical feature, then don't align it.

The NSW/Victorian border has been done entirely along the riverbank.  Much
of it by me and a few others after you guys decided to take your bat &
ball.  So, I don't believe this is actually an issue.  Do you have any
examples of where this is a concern?

Tracing the actual border between NSW/Victorian border was actually quite
interesting.  You have the gradual accretion or divulsion to consider, and
it is clear the LPI data is not necessarily aligned with what is current.
Most of the border that I've traced I'd consider to be more current than
the LPI data, and I'd certainly want to thrash it out before someone
started replacing it with yet another import. We've had so much ugliness in
the past with these imported data sets with no follow up.

This issue doesn't come up too much with property boundaries - that are
defined independent of the roads.  It does come up with rivers and
coastline, and other areas where the physical feature is what is the
boundary.

Ian.