On 25/01/2016 12:58 PM, Ian Sergeant wrote:
Hi,

The road is a vector, representing the road. It does not represent the road centreline. It has properties, such as width and lanes, and sidewalks.

If the boundary *is* the physical feature, then it is not corrupting the data by making it align with the physical feature. If the boundary is not the physical feature, then don't align it.

The NSW/Victorian border has been done entirely along the riverbank. Much of it by me and a few others after you guys decided to take your bat & ball. So, I don't believe this is actually an issue. Do you have any examples of where this is a concern?

Tracing the actual border between NSW/Victorian border was actually quite interesting. You have the gradual accretion or divulsion to consider, and it is clear the LPI data is not necessarily aligned with what is current. Most of the border that I've traced I'd consider to be more current than the LPI data, and I'd certainly want to thrash it out before someone started replacing it with yet another import. We've had so much ugliness in the past with these imported data sets with no follow up.

This issue doesn't come up too much with property boundaries - that are defined independent of the roads. It does come up with rivers and coastline, and other areas where the physical feature is what is the boundary.

There are places ..(when I came across one again I'll post a link) where the road goes down the centre of the boundaries between two properties. Being a lazy Ozie I would prefer to tag the road and use that as the boundary! Save a lot of work, the meaning is fairly clear .. and has very few impacts on actual use of the map rather than legal niceties.

However ... with this data being translated across 'we' get lots of nodes and detail... with very little 'work'. So it does make it practical to have the road separate from the boundary. But if I were entering each node by hand .. you would have the road forming the boundary (as tagged by me). Someone with more time can do that detail .. probably less than 10 meters in it.
Ian.