On Wed, 4 May 2016 05:58:27 PM Alex Sims wrote:
> The other point I’d make (as I did some time ago) is that the labels are
> “British English” labels and form a hierarchy where the names make sense in
> the UK but shouldn’t be taken as a slight against any area. They are merely
> a series of words that define the level of population centre.

Looking at the end of this post:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/2008-December/001089.html
made me think of our own experience with small towns.

In 1988 we moved to Kerang, Vic which had a population of 5,500, 5 pubs, 1
small supermarket, 1 large supermarket with bottleshop, 8 churches and little
industry.  However, Kerang supported a regional farming population of 20,000.
When we moved 50 miles up the road 10 years later, the population was 4,500.
10 years later 1 pub burned down, 5 years later so did another.  Now the
population is below 4000 I think, but the regional population serviced is
still about the same and there is more industry in the town.

I assume computerization and mechanization means the increase in industry
without population increase.  Also with amalgamation of farms, many houses are
now available for those who work in town, so these would not be counted in the
town stats.

My thought was to look at the amenities etc listed for a place within OSM
itself for use as a guide to classification.  Would this be a purely subjective
process ie looking at the map, or can this type of data be easily queried from
the database for a more objective approach?

In the latter case, weights could be applied to different amenities,
combination with other sources eg remoteness index, etc ...

The caveat here is that the more amenities mapped correlate with activity /
interest in that location.
--
Regards
Simon Slater